Thursday, May 20, 2010

I am a Jackrabbit...

I was doing a lot of thinking today about spirit animals. I've taken a lot of tests online about spirit animals and the one that keeps coming up consistently is the Hare. Hares (The Jackrabbit in particular) have always fascinated me. They are survivors of the harshest climes, peaceful and intuitive. Most people think they are pests but they are a necessary component in the great circle of life, especially in the desert. I identify a lot with jackrabbits. I am kind of a nervous sort around new people, I'm always making sure I don't paint myself into a corner and I can be one place and then in another place in the blink of an eye.

I found this on a spirit animal website:

"Jackrabbit’s message is, always be alert. When walking in a strange neighborhood pay attention to your surroundings . Keep away from your enemies; you know who they are. Change your fears into faith. Learn to "freeze" when you want to avoid detection. Develop clairaudience to hear psychic messages. You are fertile with new ideas and now is the time to act on them."

I try to live my life this way. Until now, I really didn't think that these were qualities associated with the Jackrabbit. Most people when you ask them what their spirit animal is they say something along the lines of the Wolf or the Bear or maybe some type of big cat. Animals that are romanticized and often thought about. I do identify with some aspects of the wolf, and I love the grace and demeanor of the Cat but am I a wolf, am I a cat? The answer is a resounding NO! I have always been a desert creature, a wary creature, a survivor, a jackrabbit. Even some of my mannerisms and way of speech can be considered "rabbit like" . This is something people have told me but I really never believed it until I got introspective about it. The first thing that people usually associate rabbits with is how much they reproduce. They do this for a reason and whether we humans understand the reasoning behind it or not is really irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. I'll admit the reason why I was so resistant to believing that the Jackrabbit was my spirit animal was because of this negative connotation. Now that I think about it, it seems kind of an ignorant reason to be denying a part of my nature.

I am a Jackrabbit, a survivor, nervous around predatory people but friendly once I get to know them and know they aren't going to bite my tail off. I am a creature of peace and a creature of the desert. Now I'm learning to be a Jackrabbit of the forest. It's taking some time, but I think that through instinct and intelligence, I will survive just like I always have.