Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Catching Feelings

At first I didn't notice 
Relationships in my head
Develop in their own time
People talk about love languages 
And I'm illiterate 
I exist to love people 
To care about anyone who shows me kindness 
I try to navigate 
To tailor my feelings to the situation 
And... 
I can't
Love is just love 
Actions have boundaries and of that 
I have total agency 
I understand the nuances of categories 
I embrace them as I've been taught 
Inside my heart and inside my head
If I love, I care
There's no layers, no hidden agenda 
I'm starting to question my deeper understanding 
I confess my love more
Not to cross a line 
But to try and help myself understand 
This emotion I feel for many 
This emotion I've been kicked into limiting 
If I've loved you, I still do
Even if you've abused me
Even if you hate me
Even if you can't for whatever reason 
It doesn't matter 
Once the switch flips, it is on forever 
Am I lucky 
Am I just too emotionally charged 
Sensitive becomes a pejorative 
Maybe it would be healthy if I could let go
But that isn't the way my heart works