Thursday, November 26, 2020

Real

It is bright but impossibly cold
I can feel the chill through my bones 
The colors of autumn exploding all around 
I'm sitting on a cold surface 
Looking down from a hill of grass
An emerald contrast against everything else
Internal whisper a knot in my gut
A fist gripping my heart
Cold as iron, I can feel every finger 
I close my eyes and try to focus 
Beauty mingling with my absolute dispair 
Suddenly, another human presence next to me 
I say "I'm glad you could be here" 
She let's my voice linger for a moment 
"There's comfort in the transitory" 
I agree, but with a tone that says
I'm not happy about it
"You know things always happen eventually" 
She replies with a hint of humor 
I catch myself smiling while a tear absentmindedly tumbles away 
She knows but neither of us notice 
We banter for a while 
The topic of conversation nebulous and free flowing 
There isn't really a point but that's OK 
The sun moves a little bit 
And I know that the moment is ending 
I mutter a random curse word
And then she takes me into her arms
Motherly comfort that I didn't realize I missed 
Free of expectations and awkwardness 
Pure love on a soul level 
Existing for the sake of it
I start to cry, softly at first 
But then I'm sobbing with uncontrollable emotion 
"I don't know if I'm ready for this" 
"You were always ready" 
And then, I wake up somewhere else