Sunday, November 22, 2020

Ocean

My family took a trip to Washington 
Traveling up the coastal highway 
I was but a small child, fascinated 
With all the things I'd never seen before 
On a cloudy day we stopped 
To observe a beach somewhere 
On the Oregon coast 
It was a cloudy day, cold
The wind and waves a symphony 
To my innocent desert heart 
I wandered away from my parents 
The danger of oblivion so close 
But I didn't know that type of danger
The wave caught my foot
And swept me away in an instant 
Everything became absolute chaos 
I couldn't breathe
I didn't know where I was
In mere moments I touched the face of death 
Time lingered towards eternity 
As I slipped away 
An invisible hand seemed to tighten around me 
I heard a voice, loud yet gentle 
Without gender, without identity 
"Not yet" 
The rumbling vortex spat me on the shore 
I laid there, sputtering, confused 
I stood up as my parents rushed to me
And I smiled at them 
As if nothing had happened