Saturday, November 28, 2020

Illusion of Inprisonment

There's a hand on my shoulder 
Pushing while gripping simultaneously 
I can feel his eyes on the back of my skull 
Glaring, judging 
His silence speaks volumes 
The smell of disinfectant mixes with fear 
It is bright with alarming shadow 
Steel mesh making patterns on the floor 
I can hear wailing in the distance 
Begging, pleading for help that will never be 
I'm shoved into what looks like a closet 
Steel covering a tiny window 
A door that could stop a bullet 
A cot on the wall
The only light, artificial 
The door slams shut and I start to cry
Standing in the middle of this unfamiliar place 
Eventually I lie down and attempt to sleep 
Has it been minutes? 
Has it been days? 
The door creaks open with an angry sigh 
Hands, powerful, callused, unfeeling 
Completely void of human energy 
I'm being drug again to somewhere 
It's a tile room, impossibly cold
With a drain on the floor 
I'm stripped naked
I hadn't noticed my clothes before 
But now their absence is frightening 
My skin reflects the artificial light 
Ice water assaults from every side 
Did I hear someone laugh? 
The cold burrows into my soul
This, this is how I die
It's over as quickly as it started 
Dripping in vulnerability, I am broken 
No one seems to notice 
I'm covered again in agonizing white 
It is itching from the inside 
I'm pushed into an office 
With an examination table 
And a bespectacled older man
His hair only just turning grey 
Impossibly kempt and perfect 
As if it wouldn't dare disobey 
He makes a non-committal noise 
As I'm being restrained 
Strapped by my arms and legs with leather and metal 
I'm crying again 
I'm hearing myself beg for mercy in a language I don't understand 
"We're just trying to help you"
There's a needle in my arm
I can feel something burning through my viens and into my chest 
Indescribable pain
My mind rapidly slipping away 
I'm fighting with every nuance of myself 
But the black is relentless 
The last thing I hear 
"we're just trying to help you"