Wednesday, February 10, 2021

Last Rites

One of the first things I remember
is the voice of a gentle man 
a holy man both in word and deed
Even as a newly emergent life
I could feel his connection to God
he was there to guide me
back to the creator energy from where I came
but the universe had other plans
I've stood in that place 
several times since 
even though I could just slip away 
the overpowering whim of self preservation 
takes control and subconsciously 
I fight for every single breath 
while I'll live every moment as if it's my last 
pretending that every meal is the last
every conversation lingering 
meaningful because it could be the last
I fantasize about killing myself 
taking agency over a thing 
that I don't really control 
because deep down I know 
when it ends there won't be preamble 
some grandiose event or even a warning 
I'll just stop
flicker out like a candle 
Maybe I obsess because lately 
it seems like I'm constantly touched 
by some sort of loss
painfully aware of the fragility of it all
Maybe I'm just tired 
of seeing my own death in my dreams 
Maybe it's just noise