Monday, January 25, 2021

A Date

It was somewhere near Valantine's day
I bought tickets to a performance
of A Midsummer Night's Dream
Nothing terribly extravagant 
There were no costumes and the stage 
was a box shaped outline
taped to a gymnasium floor
several rows of folded chairs arranged 
haphazardly around the room 
I held her hand as I tried to pretend 
to pay attention to the story 
although I was staring at her 
more than at the actors 
Beforehand, we had gone to dinner 
and I had ordered her my favorite thing 
she seemed to enjoy it
I had trouble focusing on food 
her radiant warmth capturing my attention 
The play went by in a blur 
suddenly we were walking 
in the frozen moonlight hand in hand
She was taken by the stars 
the way the dew on the grass shimmered 
the lights of sleeping buildings 
glowing in the dark
I was taken by her
the essence and beauty of her
glowing in this otherworldly way
We stopped as she pointed out 
a random cluster of stars
I turned and looked into her eyes 
and eventually she stared into me 
Time seemed to stop and in that moment 
I was close to perfection 
I could die right then and there
and be absolutely happy 
Timidly, I kissed her lips
At first she pulled away and was afraid 
I had misread the entire situation 
But then she gently, ever so slightly 
leaned into my body 
I didn't take it any further 
I couldn't take it any further 
I may have said that I loved her
or maybe I was just thinking it loudly 
I walked her back to her dorm
silent except for my pounding heart 
She kissed my cheek and bounced inside 
I don't know how long I stood outside 
consumed by a burning wish 
that I could just hold her again 
It might have been hours
it probably was mere minutes 
All too quickly I was in my room 
that chick I lived with snoring 
loudly in the corner
The angry glow of a computer 
bathing a single tear in bright white