Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Haunted

I've always been fascinated
by haunted abandoned places 
areas where humanity abandoned roots
leaving walls to melt away with time 
I make it a sport to ignore 
no trespassing sings 
suggestions made in the guise of safety 
In Staunton there were crypts 
monuments to the dead behind creaking gates
and just as many churches dedicated 
to decaying Christian sects 
On campus there was a cathedral of sorts
an impossibly old building not often used
the cross of Christ on display yet 
collecting dust glowering above a Bible 
seldom touched 
I found the place quite by accident 
on one of my many escapist walks
I'd go there to pray to a pagan god 
and ask redemption of Jesus 
One night I went to her and asked
if she wanted to see something cool
she trusted me and I led her 
to the dusty tomb
For some reason it wasn't on any map
She of course was fascinated with the history 
I was overjoyed at sharing my discovery 
After discussing Bible passages 
her an atheist rooted in scientific methods 
myself a pagan raised by Christians
we kissed deeply in the pale light 
beaming through stained glass
the glower of the cross an aphrodisiac of sorts
I don't remember what happened next
the moment overwhelming time
I remember that kiss
I remember feeling like her spirit 
intertwined with mine
I remember perfection manifest again 
wishing I could pause reality again 
and something in the back of my mind 
told me that this was way too beautiful 
for me to ever hope to keep