Sunday, January 24, 2021

Soul Need

Deep in the pit of my stomach
there is an ache I feel in my spirit
Waking hours filled with darkness 
this nebulous sadness 
I've been ignoring it at least externally 
Avoiding discussions or acknowledgement 
pushing it aside because 
there is an abundance of connections 
My life blessed with companionship 
so many people feel love 
when they think of me
In my dreams intermixed 
between images of fear and despair 
there are brief moments of bliss
Sometimes there are sexual encounters 
Often it is just the experience 
of being held, of physical contact 
of pure love manifest 
The person changes 
my mind conjuring the people I am closest to 
and I sob into their chest 
mumbling through everything that hurts
Somehow I know it isn't real
but my longing makes it feel real enough 
and then I'm in bed again 
with this empty ache inside my chest
I have this need I can't articulate 
this need that makes no sense
this need that is breaking me down 
more than anything these fucking times
have spit in my spiritual eye
I don't know how to live this way 
missing a thing I didn't know I wanted