Sunday, January 31, 2021

Quarantine

I wasn't in a bad place
humanity a low din in the back of my mind 
laughing, joking, accepting quietly 
the tragic hilarity that is right now 
I had to get some kind of food
I've been living on trash perpetually 
indulging in the isolation 
avoiding what interaction is somewhat allowed 
As I entered the store
I felt a rush of distant nausea 
my mask weighing more than usual 
suddenly aware of prying eyes
and an abundance of anger and frustration 
I knew exactly what I wanted
but my mind was scrambled 
with the untidy feelings in the room
Everyone was in some sort of hurry 
I ended up with a dull pain 
right between my eyes 
and my heart felt like it was being squeezed
by a hot iron fist
I couldn't get out of there fast enough 
practiced calm belaying no indication 
of the extremes simmering internally 
I went back home and crawled inside 
my unhealthy food and other vices 
Staring at a familiar work of fiction 
glad to be away from it again 
sad that there's no real escape 
wishing I could blip completely out
only for a few moments in time