Monday, January 25, 2021

Trauma Bond

I had never lived with anyone
except my parents and brothers 
I had no idea what to expect 
and knew less about what I was doing 
After a somewhat emotional weekend 
of buying things I couldn't take with me
I was unceremoniously placed
in a third floor room paired with
someone I had never met
She was tall, intimidating 
raven black hair and a fererce spirit 
When it came to integration 
we both were outcasts 
Pagans in an overtly Christian bubble 
We bonded through the occult knowledge 
of being old souls 
She had this boyfriend 
I didn't like the guy even though 
he was a man of standing 
They would have loud sex
while I pretended to sleep 
Sometimes I wake up from a deep sleep 
hearing them moaning and growling 
It made me feel sick
I said nothing because I didn't want
to be a prude and have them dislike me
One time he had me drive his Bronco
up and down the unfamiliar highways 
while they loudly fucked in the back
They paid me quite a bit of money 
I still felt a little bit slimy over the whole thing 
One day she said she couldn't take it
In a drunken rage she took an army scalpel 
sunk it into her wrist, deep
Blood was everywhere 
I froze in horror 
I had never seen something so drastic 
And then I swear on all things holy 
I watched the wound close in seconds
only a small amount of blood remained 
She screamed at me
"see what I fucking have to deal with?" 
She ran out of the room 
and I never saw her again
Her belongings scattered all over the room 
preserved for months until they figured out 
She wasn't coming back
I stayed in that room alone 
until I was assigned somewhere else
The vague suggestion of suicide 
haunting the space eternally