Sunday, January 24, 2021

Absolutes

Today I felt fucking angry
a deep, pulsing irritation aimed 
at everything and everyone 
The situation is getting old
but then something stuck between mindless scrolling 
reminded me of a party
A simple gathering one bright May day
Thinking about it makes me feel
warmth on my skin and joy in my heart 
cutting through seasonal gloom
My friends were there 
coming together from all corners 
One friend was visiting from England 
out of all the parties and social bullshit 
he decided to visit me 
He wished me a happy birthday 
and gave me the sincerest hug
I remember the moment in beautiful detail 
the fragrance of his humanity 
birds singing over the music 
everything coalescing into perfection 
He smoked with me and we talked
I love the sound of his voice 
The memory cuts through the gloom 
shining a light into the cavern 
that has become routine 
and I can't stop myself from smiling 
These are the moments 
the profound epiphany of happiness 
exemplary examples of radiant joy
Transitory though they are 
they make the sadness ache a little less 
the anger burn a little less
the burden of sensory perception a little lighter 
Even though I ache in this moment 
I feel like it is all been worth it