Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Downtown

You know that feeling
After stepping in a puddle
And an almost insignificant drip
Works its way deep into your sock
It is uncomfortable and there's nothing that can be done about it
Today was kind of like that
Except there was this gloom in the air
A sadness deep as the sky was gray
I tried distracting myself
As I walked, a woman
An elder with a walker
Not dressed for the weather and soaking wet
Called out to me asking for a dollar
I gave her all my change and she asked where I was going
Up the road to the convenience store for a Coke
She asked if I was old enough to buy alcohol
I wasn't expecting that
She explained the store had 86ed her
Not surprising as they're across the street from a psychiatric hospital
Zero tolerance for odd behavior
Conflicted though I was
I obliged because I knew
Nothing else would help
As I contemplated what beer to buy
Half annoyed at thier dog shit selection
I couldn't help but feel sorry
That this poor soul was alone
Escaping something through inebriation
In the cold of the darkest winter of our lives
What combination of circumstances
Brewed such an utter shit storm
I brought my items to the counter
Even though the guy behind the counter had seen me several times
I was always masked and never buying contraband
He made the whole interaction an act of congress
I'm sure he knew the beer wasn't for me
None of his fucking business
I helped the woman open her prize
Relief was almost instantaneous
And I won't lie, I cried
Silently, almost internally
The rain hid the rest
She wandered off without a thank you
I wandered off not knowing what to say
Suddenly it felt ten degrees colder
My apatite was gone but I ate anyway
Went about my errands as I usually do
But it was darker, sullen
The weight of sadness around my neck
It gives me a headache
As I sit here in my metal box
Warm, comfortable
I weep for every soul caught up in pain
Knowing that I am only one
Amongst the nothingness