Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Permanency

I had just turned 18
and I was about to be thrown into the thorns 
I had been thinking about getting a permanent scar
although I'm glad I had to wait 
My brother introduced me to an artist 
helped me pay for it
I got the first thing that came to mind
a symbol of faith I'd keep forever 
even though I've fallen away from the trappings 
I wasn't sure I'd like the experience 
Turns out it became therapeutic 
a combination of primal pain and intellectual stimulation 
the rush of making a permanent decision 
A tiny acceptable taste of self destruction 
rebellion I can literally wear 
Its in people's faces 
Taking up space, shouting 
A shift from being invisibly silent 
Even when I can't speak 
these scars speak for me
Telling the story of my life in symbology of my choosing 
If no one else gets it
I do 
I have absolutely no regrets