Saturday, December 5, 2020

Unconscious

I remember clouds
Ugly, gray, ominous
The wind blew from the western edge
Thunder grumbling in the distance
I stood in a parking lot
Situated a few hundred feet from a beach
That looked distressed, haunted
Driftwood mingling with various bits
Of lives long forgotten
There was a run-down van
And people I wasn't sure I knew
Or if it was just some trick of the mind
It started to rain
Heavy drops painfully cold
Someone said we should leave
The rain got heavier and the wind louder
My companion screaming into nothing
I struggled to hear while paralyzed
A wave came out of the darkness
My foot tangled in a web of force
Yanked out to sea
My lungs filled with water
Next thing I knew, I was staring at myself
Floating above my body
Lying on a cold, black surface
Even though I could see myself
I felt the cold against my skin
Felt the gravel press against my face
And the blood and tears
I howled into the black
Not sure what me I was hearing
My scream echoed in my ears
As reality manifested itself