Friday, December 4, 2020

Gangster


Back when weed was a forbidden commodity 
I knew this guy
He was foreign by birth and by attitude 
A criminal from a place where that sort of thing 
Was commonplace 
He talked a huge game 
Kind of surprised it wasn't his mouth 
That ended up killing him 
Grass wasn't his only thing 
And it seems once you dip into one black market 
You dive head first into all of them
One day he'd be dripping in money 
The next he's be begging for food
The cycle surrounding him
Like a cloak of shattered dreams 
I heard from somewhere 
He had some sort of college education 
And it was obvious 
The way he spoke, the way he knew things 
Some of it was the creative genius 
Of survival in the streets 
Formal education paid by blood money 
From a place he never talked about 
He was compassionate 
He never did me wrong and in a way 
I knew he liked and respected me
More than some
There was this darker side
This underbelly of deciet and lies
This mechanism of defense 
He was proud to commit murder 
If only unintentionally 
And there's no doubt in my mind 
That he'd turn on even me
If the price was right 
How much of that was mental illness 
How much of that was drugs 
How much of that was situational 
We stopped talking 
When I didn't have to deal with criminals to get high
He tried on social media 
But something told me I shouldn't 
The next I heard of him 
His mugshot was all over the news 
And I was sad
Then came unfortunate news of his death
Details that were speculation 
Even though I knew all the evil
I knew the good too
No one deserves an end like that 
There was argument amongst people 
Some called him garbage 
Some called him a saint
I just knew the guy
And that he was a brilliant human 
Taken out predictably 
In an unpredictable life