Sunday, December 13, 2020

Longing

The first thing I noticed was the subtle odor
Of all the life teeming within
A cool breeze gently flowing from a lake
Expanding into infinity until crashing
Gently into snow capped mountains
Pine trees filled with calling birds
Bathed in bright sunlight
I walked along a winding path
My breath barely visible
It felt like the kiss of morning
But just a little bit later in the day
I walked for what seemed hours
The morning sustained
Locked in time I traveled
Until I came upon a couple
Speaking with an unusual man
In appearance, he seemed normal enough
He seemed to exude calm
A quiet peacefulness
That seemed a subject of envy
Even though they argued
Something something pandemic
Keeping up with societal norms
Love reserved because
It was safer to keep your circle small
Or even singular
I felt a deep and profound loneliness
Sadness in the moment
I turned to walk away and suddenly
The man locked me in a loving embrace
Unassuming, perfect love
I could feel it in every cell
The world began to fade away
Brilliant light seemingly made of every color
Took over all of my senses and I felt
As if my heart would explode
Spiritual warmth washed over me
As cold reality slapped my face
And I was just lying there wondering
Where the fuck that came from